Sunday, May 6, 2012

Wish I Had Time to Chit-Chat, But I'm Off to the Center of the Earth


Wish I had time to chit-chat today, but I'm off to the center of the earth. With Jules Verne, of course. I've already found the secret instructions:

Descend into the crater of Yocul of Sneffels, which the shade of Scartaris caresses, before the kalends of July, audacious traveler, and you will reach the centre of the earth. I did it. ARNE SAKNUSSEMM*

Would you like to come along? It's certainly not too late and we'll be traveling with an accomplished (though perhaps a bit eccentric) geologist and his nephew, so there's nothing to fear. You aren't afraid of heights, are you? Or, should I say, depths? Easily remedied by a five-day course of ascending 150 steps to the top of a steeple on the Island of Amak, in the southeast quarter of Copenhagen.

How about supplies? A letter of introduction to the Governor of Iceland is already prepared and our geologist friend has packed all the ropes and torches and pickaxes and alpenstocks we will need.

So join us, if you will. We're waiting for you, if you'll hurry along.



*Verne, Jules (2009-10-04). A Journey to the Centre of the Earth (p. 17). Public Domain Books. Kindle Edition. 


What is the Sunday SalonImagine some university library's vast reading room. It's filled with people--students and faculty and strangers who've wandered in. They're seated at great oaken desks, books piled all around them,and they're all feverishly reading and jotting notes in their leather-bound journals as they go.
Later they'll mill around the open dictionaries and compare their thoughts on the afternoon's literary intake....

That's what happens at the Sunday Salon, except it's all virtual. Every Sunday the bloggers participating in that week's Salon get together--at their separate desks, in their own particular time zones--and read. And blog about their reading. And comment on one another's blogs. Think of it as an informal, weekly, mini read-a-thon, an excuse to put aside one's earthly responsibilities and fall into a good book. Click here to join the Salon.

16 comments:

  1. Just how did James Mason end up in that movie? It is a fun one. My brother and I used to watch all of the movies with large lizards dressed up as dinasaurs. We loved them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great trip! I would join you but I surrounded by homework right now. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that book! I read it as a kid and fell in love with Jules Verne immediately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who wouldn't love to travel to the center of the earth?!

      Delete
  4. I'd join but I'm being held up by the Silbersteins for another 4 days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a fantastic journey, and all powered by gin!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perhaps it was the gin that kept me reading along all day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you enjoy the book! It's been a long time since I read it, but I remember it being fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are generally brief phrase loans that do supply you
    meet your fiscal concerns inside a preferred distinct time period.
    Contemplating time limitations these loans are specifically designed above an obligation 100 % free platform. As such, these are kept totally zero cost from credential checksums. Issues such as defaults, arrears, bankruptcy, CCJs and even IVAs are not deemed right here. Further, there are also no collaterals connected with these loans. There is minimal paper operate essential on the element of borrower. There are also no hidden or added documentation or faxing required right here. Applying for these loans is also especially hassle-free. Many people simply require filling an on the net form and once this gets approved money is received within 24 hours time frame. These loans are frequently supplied beneath handy terms and conditions. The common standard applicant criteria here is that they ought to be a UK resident and of 18 years of age.
    Here is my web blog ask-a-geek.com

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.