Sunday, March 22, 2015

Sulking through Spring Break



"No expectations. No disappointments."

That's what they say. I should have listened and heeded. 

I thought I ordered the books in plenty of time. A month early, I placed an order from an Amazon vendor headquartered in the UK for the seven books I hoped to read during my leisurely spring break. 

Turns out, a month isn't enough time for books to get to the US from the UK. I waited and stewed and got more and more annoyed as the days passed and the books didn't arrive. I finally decided to quit waiting for the books I'd planned to read and make the delay an excuse to make a bookstore run. 

And the books finally did show up. What the British mail system lacks in speed they make up for in presentation. Royal Mail, indeed.


Because I spent so much time sulking, I actually read fewer books during my spring break than I do in a regular work week. But I did finish these excellent reads this week:




What did you read over your break? Did you squander your spring break time? Let's hope not. 






What is the Sunday SalonImagine some university library's vast reading room. It's filled with people--students and faculty and strangers who've wandered in. They're seated at great oaken desks, books piled all around them,and they're all feverishly reading and jotting notes in their leather-bound journals as they go. Later they'll mill around the open dictionaries and compare their thoughts on the afternoon's literary intake....That's what happens at the Sunday Salon, except it's all virtual. Every Sunday the bloggers participating in that week's Salon get together--at their separate desks, in their own particular time zones--and read. And blog about their reading. And comment on one another's blogs. Think of it as an informal, weekly, mini read-a-thon, an excuse to put aside one's earthly responsibilities and fall into a good book. Click here to join the Salon.

The Sunday Post is a meme hosted by Kimba at Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It's a chance to share news and recap the past week.

Mailbox Monday was created by Marcia at The Printed Page. We share books that we found in our mailboxes last week.  It is now being hosted here.

Stacking the Shelves is a meme hosted by Tynga's Reviews in which you can share the books you've acquired.

It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? is where we share what we read this past week, what we hope to read this week…. and anything in between!  This is a great way to plan out your reading week and see what others are currently reading as well… you never know where that next “must read” book will come from! I love being a part of this and I hope you do too! As part of this weekly meme Book Journey loves to encourage you all to go and visit the others participating in this meme. 

20 comments:

  1. Oh yeah! They arrived. At least you'll have Bilgewater for this week. That does look a big bag! How many did you order? Although I was planning to buy no books at the festival this weekend- I appear to be going home with 9! 5 are 1001 books, so they don't count right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, 1001 books do not count. And nine seems like a very reasonable number.

      Delete
  2. You make me laugh. At least they did arrive and that's some bag. Did you guys float away in the last couple of days? We almost have. The rain is lovely, but the weeds are horrendous. There better be some pretty wildflowers out of all this. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much rain we couldn't even get out to the rain gauge to check on the amount.

      I'm hoping for some fabulous wildflowers, too.

      Delete
  3. I bet The Buried Giant was worth the wait. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I hate waiting! More than almost anything else, it gets on my last nerve. Glad you had a plan in place...and that the Royal Bag finally appeared! Enjoy....and thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww. It always amazes me how long it takes to get books from the UK, but that bag is beautiful! I hope it made your day. My break is coming up, so I'm getting my pile ready. What did you think of The Buried Giant? What was your favorite book out of the four you read?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked both Buried Giant and Ronia best, I think. Oddly, they were very similar, taking place in what seems like a real past, but with mythological creatures inhabiting the world.

      Delete
  6. I hate waiting too! That's the reason why my library is not my only source of reading. Why does everyone want to read the same books as me! ;-) I do love the "Royal" presentation though of the books when they finally arrived! I have The Buried Giant on my library wait list, I can't wait to read it and look forward to what you think! Enjoy the books!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such pretty books! My spring break was a grand total of four days (because the university only gives staff two days off). I spent it lounging, reading, spending plenty of time with the boy (museum circus) and hubs. Overall, a lot of fun. But it could always be longer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My Spring break is a week away and I am already rubbing my hands together at the thought of just spending concerted time reading. I have a pile of AR books that I want to read through and then attack the ever teetering TBR pile, or at dream about doing it. We have a reservation at a condo on the Canadian/Washington border so I hope we will actually get up to Vancouver for a day of poking about. Jane Austen week starts tomorrow in my library. I am showing Northanger Abbey and will have all kinds of prizes and treats. My Weekly Sunday Salon

    ReplyDelete
  9. My kids don't have spring break until the week after Easter. I'll not order books from the UK now and expect them by then. <---See, I learn from others' experiences. ;-) At least they did arrive though and you'll have them in hand for the next time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The mail bag is super cool, maybe it should be renamed "snail mail" ... annoying but hope you enjoy them all!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We don't really have a Spring Break. We do have a couple of days off around the end of the 3rd quarter which coincides with Easter. I hope to get some extra reading done then. I already have more than enough to read from my review stack and TBR mountain that I don't need any new arrivals. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's a long way from the UK! Glad they finally arrived though!

    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry the books didn't arrive when you wanted, but that bag is fantastic! Now I'm tempted to order myself some british books....

    ReplyDelete
  14. If it makes you feel any better, the post is slow in the UK too without the air miles. Hope you enjoy them now they've arrived. Emma

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hate waiting like that! Oh my that bag is impressive. I am surprised you'd be ordering from the UK but maybe books not easily got in the USA. Enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Like the purple mail bag, at least. The Buried Giant if you liked it -- I will put it back on my list. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  17. There's nothing worse than waiting for an elusive box of books. Can't believe it took so long!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.