Saturday, October 22, 2016

Time for a Readathon!

dewey's 24 hour readathon.jpg

There's really only one way to read and review 78 books in one day, and that's a readathon.


That's my goal for today. I'll be co-hosting from 1-3 pm CST, so stop by and say hello at 24hourreadathon.com if you get a chance. If you haven't readathon-ized before, you will definitely want to drop in and join in for a mini-challenge or two, and don't forget to visit some blogs and encourage people on. 

Hour 0: Opening Meme

1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today? 
I'm here in Alvin, Texas, 
between Houston and Galveston.

2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to? 
This is Not a Book
The Summer Nick Taught His Cats to Read
Extremely Cute Animals Operating Heavy Machinery...
And, most of all, We Found a Hat

3) Which snack are you most looking forward to? 
Coffee.

4) Tell us a little something about yourself! 
School librarian. Reader. Blogger. 
I love to read happiness books, travel stories, 
literary fiction and nonfiction, and children's books.

5) What’s one thing you’ll do different today?
I will stay in my pajamas much of the day.
It's almost time to start. Ready? Set? READ!

Hour 1 and 2


Books read so far: 22
Titles read during this time: Barnacle is Bored
The Water Princess
They All Saw a Cat
A Hungry Lion or a Dwindling Assortment of Animals
The Typewriter
Little Red
Mother Bruce
Ideas Are All Around
The Night Gardener
Dragon Was Terrible
A Night of Great Joy
Hey, That's My Monster!
Extremely Cute Animals Operating Heavy Machinery
Worm Loves Worm
The Summer Nick Taught His Cats to Read
I'm a Girl
Hungry Bird
Groovy Joe: Ice Cream & Dinosaurs
King Baby
Into the Snow
Let's Play!
This is Not a Picture Book
Snacks consumed: Coffee and yogurt
Currently reading: More picture books


Hour 3 and 4 and 5 and 6

Books read so far: 55
Titles read during this time: The Mixed-Up Truck
Goodbye Summer, Hello Autumn
Creation
The Ugly Dumpling
Pirasaurs
Tell Me a Tattoo Story
The Wheels on the Tuk-Tuk
There is a Tribe of Kids
Be a Friend
The Uncorker of Ocean Bottles
Thunder Boy Jr.
Puddles
Imelda and the Goblin King
Max at Night
One Day in the Eucalyptus, Eucalyptus Tree
The Lion Inside
Penny & Jelly Slumber Under the Stars
Henry Wants More!
Frank and Lucky Get Schooled
The Storyteller
Frankencrayon
Strictly No Elephants
Super Happy Magic Forest
Twenty Yawns
The Darkest Dark
Bloom
My Heart Fills With Happiness
Les Miserables (Board book)
I'm Sunny! (Board book)
This is Not a Book (Board book)
My Heart Fills With Happiness (Board book)
Hamsters on the Go (Board book)
Look! Birds! (Board book)
Snacks consumed: Water and M&Ms
Currently reading: More picture books


Hour 7 and 8

Co-hosting at 24hourreadathon.com

Hour 9 and 10 and 11

Out to eat with friends


Hour 12 and 13 and 14

Books read so far: 85
Titles read during this time: The Quickest Kid in Clarksville
We Found a Hat
Snappsy the Alligator Did Not Ask to Be in This Book!
Follow the Moon Home
From Wolf to Woof!
Hensel and Gretel: Ninja Chicks
Good Night, Baddies
If You Ever Want to Bring a Piano to the Beach, Don't!
The White Cat and the Monk
Real Sisters Pretend
Grandma is a Slowpoke
Superhero Instruction Manual
Surf's Up
This is My Dollhouse
Before I Leave
A Piece of Home
The Sound of All Things
Normal Norman
Feathers for Peacock
Flora and the Peacocks
Little One
A Morning with Grandpa
Freedom in Congo Square
Daniel Finds a Poem
I Am a Story
Giraffes Ruin Everything
Follow Me!
Too Many Carrots
Ninja Baby
Hoot and Peep
Snacks consumed: More Water and M&Ms
Currently reading: I finished all my picture books! Hurrah!
Now on to my grownup books. 
First up...Strangers in Their Own Land: Anger and Mourning on the American Right

Hour 15-24

Sleep. Sigh.

End of Event Survey


  1. Which hour was most daunting for you? 9 pm. My body wants sleep.
  2. Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year? Children's picture books.
  3. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next season? I think I'm going to create my own team like Brona did for her Australian bloggers. I will also use 15 minutes of each hour to blitz social media and check up on my team.
  4. What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon? I love knowing that hundreds of people are reading at the same time. It makes the world a happier place.
  5. How many books did you read? 85
  6. What were the names of the books you read? See above.
  7. Which book did you enjoy most? I can't reveal that until the Cybils voting is over on Jan. 1st.
  8. Which did you enjoy least? Can't reveal that either. Sigh.
  9. How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time? 100% likely. I don't know but I think I'll read and visit blogs next time.




SaveSave

16 comments:

  1. 78! That's some stack! I'm just about to organise my stack and excited to participate for the first time. 22 books so far! You're going to need to get a bigger stack there Deb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I finish all the picture books, I have a couple of grownup books that should last me.

      I'm so happy you are going to get to join in. I'll check on you when you get going later in your evening.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad I caught you during your "shift." You are really doing well. Congrats on what you're getting done. What grownup books do you have at the ready?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm actually live at 24hourreadathon.com for a couple more minutes.

    I've got a book about joy from the Jolly Good Fellow at Google and Strangers in Their Own Land, a series of extended interviews by the author with conservatives in Louisiana.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 85! Astonishing. I had fun, but only read 7. I wouldn't be able to remember 85. I guess you take some notes for the Cybils entries? The team aspect was fun, I need to start twitter I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did. I rated every book in my oh-so-secret database and left positive and negative thoughts about each one. Only the books that I rated over 90 will be shared with children at my school to get some kid appeal thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's awesome, Deb. I'm sorry that I missed your shift and didn't cheer you on more, but it looks like you had fun anyway, and knowing you and your outgoing spirit, you probably cheered on more than a few readathoners. Also I had no idea that you were a school librarian? ;) I was in my PJs all day too, except for a brief outing to the neighbor's when I changed to sweats.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing number of books! Thanks for sharing how you did it. Enjoy the week, and here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did awesome! Kid's picture books is a great idea and it sounds like it was helpful for your job as well. Nice multi-tasking!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, 85 books is great. Good for you, looks like fun although I think my brain would hurt after a while. :) And yes copious amounts of coffee would be needed! I like how you did this, and some of those titles sound great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the idea of forming a readathon team :)
    Your reading always inspires me ... I'm hoping this readathon successfully jump starts me into a new reading routine that I can maintain for a long while.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! 78 books in one day! That's quite a feat!! I wish I could have joined this readathon, but I had to work yesterday, so I wasn't able to.

    Here’s my Sunday Post!

    Catch you over @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog and join in this week’s Book Photo Sundays!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was there for your shift, Deb. Thanks for hosting! And congrats on getting all of those books finished! I finished 2. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was agog at your reading but I gather some were children's books which is great. I don't have kids so never read kids books although I do have a friend with a 5yr old and very occasionally request something I think he'll like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All were children's books. There. That sounds more reasonable, doesn't it?

      Delete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.