Sunday, February 19, 2017

Four ✭✭✭✭✭ Reads, Plus My Favorite Love Story, Tadpole's Promise

I've read 56 books so far in 2017 and 16 of them have been five star reads. That seems pretty remarkable. How can I account for this? The best reads have mostly been books I didn't get around to reading from last year. Oddly, the best books are not books I thought I'd love. I know nothing about hunting with hawks, for one, and who'd have thought I'd be so taken with a children's book with a scarecrow for a main character?

covertitleauthorreview
H is for Hawk
I'm not a hunter, and I'm not mad for animals, but great writing is great writing, and this book is great writing. Helen Macdonald's dad collapses and ...more [edit]
Remove from my books
Utopia Drive: A Road Trip Through America's Most Radical Idea
I've always been completely fascinated with utopias, and I've secretly longed to join one or start one. I'm a natural reader for this little travel na ...more [edit]
Remove from my books
Worzel Gummidge
Worzel Gummidge is a classic not-quite-human, not-quite-other character, who is able to be in the world without being of the world, who throws out bri ...more [edit]
Remove from my books
Homegoing
Two sisters in Africa. One becomes the wife of a white man who rounds up slaves. And the other is captured as a slave.

Each chapter moves forward a gen
 ...more [edit]


I finished four books this week and every one of them was a five star story.


I'm reading two George Saunders books right now and I'm pretty sure that both of these will also be five star reads.

I can't explain it, this Amazing Book Phenomenon, but I say, keep on coming, great books.


I almost forgot...I also read my favorite picture book love story, Tadpole's Promise, to many of my classes this week. I snapped a picture of the typical reaction of a class to the story...Don't you love this?!








What are you reading today?


What is the Sunday SalonImagine some university library's vast reading room. It's filled with people--students and faculty and strangers who've wandered in. They're seated at great oaken desks, books piled all around them,and they're all feverishly reading and jotting notes in their leather-bound journals as they go. Later they'll mill around the open dictionaries and compare their thoughts on the afternoon's literary intake....That's what happens at the Sunday Salon, except it's all virtual. Every Sunday the bloggers participating in that week's Salon get together--at their separate desks, in their own particular time zones--and read. And blog about their reading. And comment on one another's blogs. Think of it as an informal, weekly, mini read-a-thon, an excuse to put aside one's earthly responsibilities and fall into a good book. Click here to join the Salon.

The Sunday Post is a meme hosted by Kimba at Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It's a chance to share news and recap the past week.

Mailbox Monday was created by Marcia at The Printed Page. We share books that we found in our mailboxes last week. 
 It is now being hosted here.


Stacking the Shelves is a meme hosted by Tynga's Reviews in which you can share the books you've acquired.

It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? is where we share what we read this past week, what we hope to read this week…. and anything in between!  This is a great way to plan out your reading week and see what others are currently reading as well… you never know where that next “must read” book will come from! I love being a part of this and I hope you do too! It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is now being hosted at The Book Date.




15 comments:

  1. LOVE the photo :)
    I am intrigued by the Utopia book, and the fact that you gave it five stars encouraged me to add to my short list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have my eye on Lincoln in the Bardo! Glad to hear it was a five star read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that picture! It looks like they're all enjoying the story! I've been wanting to read H is for Hawk even though it's not the usual type of book that grabs me. You're having a fantastic reading year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous photo of the kids. They do have such a natural way of reacting, don't they?

    Homegoing is a book I've heard a lot about. Enjoy your week, and thanks for sharing.

    Here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great picture! Priceless! I bet they love you and your storytimes. So happy that you are having such a good reading year. I feel like I am too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had to find a video of someone reading Tadpole's Promise, and now my mouth looks like your students' mouths! I love it when authors "go there"!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don´t read as much today as I used to. Instead I work with photo design :) Fur for a change. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love that photo! And I really loved the Lincoln book too. I'm impressed with your reading speed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on having found so many five star reads! I only found a handful of 4 and 5 star reads last year, but so far the much smaller number of books I have read this year, compared with the same time last year, have yielded several 4 star reads. I have yet to find a 5 star read this year, but I am hopeful it will happen soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! You get a lot of reading done in a week! I finished 3 last week, but that was unusual. Love that so many are 5 star books. That's always a great run to be on.

    Will be interested in your thoughts on Lincoln in the Bardo. I had some mixed feelings about it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great reading week, and year you're having! I hope it continues!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My reading has been slow this year. It seems that every book is either a 5 star or a 2 star on my stack. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great photo of the kids! I'm glad you liked H Is for Hawk ... it's a book that I want to get to. And I hope to get to the Bardo book too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that picture. What a gift it is to teach kids to love books! :)

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.