Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Year of the Re-read: Top Ten Books I Want to Read in 2014



I'm thinking that 2014 may be my Year of the Re-Read.

Here are some of the books I've been thinking about re-reading next year:


The World is Not Enough by Zoe Oldenbourg
I remember this as the best historical fiction novel I've ever read. 


The Grapes of Wrath
Book club is reading any Steinbeck in February. Why not re-read a Steinbeck I loved?



Civility by Stephen L. Carter
Written before Carter started writing fiction, this is a book I've wanted to share with everyone I meet. We could use a little more civility in this world, I think.

My Name is Asher Lev by Chaim Potok
How to answer when religious orthodoxy conflicts with creativity. A masterful story, this is a book I've already re-read at least two times.

Gilead by Marilynne Robinson
A thoughtful end-of-life book I'd love to re-read. Slowly this time.



Angle of Repose by Wallace Stegner
I'd like to re-read all of Stegner's books, but this one resonates with me because of the characters' connections with the world of geology.

The Glass Bead Game by Hermann Hesse
I read this in high school. I feel pretty sure I'd get a lot more out of it now.


Happenstance by Carol Shields
Any Carol Shields, really.


The Moon-Spinners by Mary Stewart
One of my mom's favorite books. I'd like to re-read it in tribute to my mom, who started my love for reading. 


The Principles of Uncertainty by Maira Kalman
This time, I'm going to really think about this one.


If you were going to re-read next year, what would you choose? Do any of these sound good? 



Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list that one of our bloggers at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.

17 comments:

  1. I so desperately want to re-read. It's just that as a blogger, I see so many new reads out there that I don't want to stop reading the new! I think often of re-visiting my childhood haunts: James Herriot, L.M. Montgomery, Maud Hart Lovelace, C.S. Lewis, and many more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't actually heard about many of these. But I always reread Pride and Prejudice at least once a year, so I'll probably pick that up the first time right after new years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice list! These are actually all new to me! Hope you enjoy them all!

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I desperately want to re-read, too. Maybe if I set it as my goal I will do so!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's lovely to re-read. And it's something I rarely do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, I like your take on your top ten for next year reading!

    I'm not sure it's possible to read Gilead any way but slowly. What a deliberate, fantastic read that was!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great selection of books to re-read! I've only read The Moon Spinners and I think that needs to a re-read for me too xD (Btw, I'm hosting a re-reading challenge of sorts next year if you're interested in keeping track that way :))

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so want to reread a few books but caught myself piling up review books already for 2014 and having a pile of books still unread I have to hide in a cave for a month. Hope you will get your books read :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes I wish I had a magic watch so I could pause time and re-read all my favourite books. Great list :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always used to feel like I never had time to reread books, but recently I've been "rereading" by listening to audiobooks from my library. That way I can listen when I'm doing other mindless tasks and it doesn't cut into actual print-reading time! Yay!

    I'll probably end up listening to Patrick Rothfuss's The Wise Man's Fear, as book 3 in that series will (hopefully) be coming out sometime next year and I want to make sure I remember everything! =S

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea! I have plenty of books that I want to re-read but haven't gotten round to picking up again, although I haven't actually read any in your list! I'm intrigued by a couple though, so I'll have to check them out.

    Thanks for stopping by my top ten!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've only read one of these but I hope you enjoy rereading them! Since I've started blogging I've done a lot less rereading and I miss it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the idea of having a re-read yr! There are some great books I want to get back to some day! What a great idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was just thinking last night about how, unless a new book is coming out in the series, I haven't had time to re-read anything! Year of the re-read sounds fantastic.
    Thanks for stopping by my TTT

    ReplyDelete
  15. What an interesting list! I don't know many of them but I like your concept of Top 10 re-reading. there are so many books I'd love to go back and re-read if I make it through my current review list!

    Chanzie @ Mean Who You Are.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Now I want to reread some books! On my list would be Neil Gaiman's American Gods, The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender,and the Harry Potter series.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have read all the novels by Chaim Potok, great writer! enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.