Sunday, September 27, 2015

What I Read and What I'm Reading






What I Read Last Week


Oh, how I love Bill Bryson. He's everything I look for in an author. A good writer. Brave, but not too much. Human. And funny. Most of all, funny. 

So last week I reread A Walk in the Woods. I reread it slowly. It was one of those books you don't want to end. All along the way you are laughing. You just have to laugh at Bryson. He tries to do the hard thing, but it's...well, hard. And his companion, Katz, is equally human. Quintessential Americans. 

So much fun.

 

I'm going to be controversial here, so please bear with me. Here are three things I want to say about The Library at Mount Char:

1. I recommend this book.
2. I do not recommend this book for me.
3. I didn't finish it.

I don't read scary books. Scary books give me nightmares. I don't like nightmares. When I got to the chapter where Carolyn lures Steve to her room where she has left a zombified Detective Miner to shoot and kill Steve and then Carolyn places the gun in Steve's dead hand and uses it to shoot and kill the zombified Detective Miner...well, I knew this story wasn't for me. But I'm pretty sure it is for somebody. A lot of somebodies. Somebodies who love scary. And odd.

Can I do this? Can I recommend a book that I haven't read? I say I can.








What I'm Reading Now


Can you tell I'm on a Mary Karr reading kick?

Yes, I went to see her last week when she visited Houston.

And, yes, she mesmerized me, somehow,
into buying all her books.

So now I'm reading them.

More later....





 




           









What are you reading today?!





What is the Sunday SalonImagine some university library's vast reading room. It's filled with people--students and faculty and strangers who've wandered in. They're seated at great oaken desks, books piled all around them,and they're all feverishly reading and jotting notes in their leather-bound journals as they go. Later they'll mill around the open dictionaries and compare their thoughts on the afternoon's literary intake....That's what happens at the Sunday Salon, except it's all virtual. Every Sunday the bloggers participating in that week's Salon get together--at their separate desks, in their own particular time zones--and read. And blog about their reading. And comment on one another's blogs. Think of it as an informal, weekly, mini read-a-thon, an excuse to put aside one's earthly responsibilities and fall into a good book. Click here to join the Salon.

The Sunday Post is a meme hosted by Kimba at Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It's a chance to share news and recap the past week.

Mailbox Monday was created by Marcia at The Printed Page. We share books that we found in our mailboxes last week. 
 It is now being hosted here.


Stacking the Shelves is a meme hosted by Tynga's Reviews in which you can share the books you've acquired.

It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? is where we share what we read this past week, what we hope to read this week…. and anything in between!  This is a great way to plan out your reading week and see what others are currently reading as well… you never know where that next “must read” book will come from! I love being a part of this and I hope you do too! As part of this weekly meme Book Journey loves to encourage you all to go and visit the others participating in this meme. 

13 comments:

  1. I don't think I"ll be reading either. I'm not really into zombie books and I've learned I'm not into science fiction or graphic novels either, but I'm okay with that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scary books aren't my thing either, so I doubt I'll be reading Mount Char. However, I am LOVING Did You Ever Have a Family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're definitely reading twins because I can't get myself to read The Library at Mount Char either! The Liar's Club is such a well-written and heartbreaking book. Some of the stuff that Karr went through as a child is still with me years after reading the book. I'm also currently reading The Art of Memoir. I hope you enjoy her work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A Walk in the Woods is probably my favorite Bill Bryson. There were definitely some laugh out loud moments. I'm not sure about The Library at Mount Char. In some ways it appeals to me but it does look a bit too creepy. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I do want to read A Walk in the Woods...and see the movie. And it's been a while since I read Mary Karr, but I like the look of Sinners Welcome...thanks!

    Thanks for visiting my blog, and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know there was a Walk in the Woods movie! And Emma Thompson's in it? Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I love A Walk in the Woods. Great book! Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate scary books as well. They are the only books I won't read. I hope you have a good week.

    Megan @ http://readingawaythedays.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved A Walk in the Woods. ๐Ÿ˜Š Too nad you didn't like your scary book, but they're really not for everyone. I think it's good that you are able to recognize that it's a good book without it being a good book for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved A Walk In The Woods too, but read it too long ago to remember specifics. I'm looking forward to seeing the movie. Actually it's nearly done here- I think I'll go this afternoon... Scary books aren't my thing either. I enjoyed Pride and Prejudice with Zombies though, but can't imagine too many other zombie books I would pick up voluntarily. I've never read any Mary Karr- I was very keen to read Liar's Club some years ago, but never got around to it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd like to see A Walk in the Woods movie even though it's different. But I'm sure I'll like the book best. I read Liar's Club long ago but I don't remember it too well. It was bleak for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't really like zombie books but The Library at Mount Char has me intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Library at Mound Char looks interesting even though that isn't a genre I normally read. No zombies for me either. :)

    ENJOY your reading week.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My It's Monday, What Are You Reading

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.