Sunday, December 3, 2017

Full Throttle Cybils Reading Frenzy: My Week



It's December, and my Cybils reading frenzy has shifted into full throttle. The mail carrier and UPS driver and Fed Ex guy know me by name and now follow my blog (apparently they are all big readers...who knew?) My husband's a bit worried about our house seems to be sinking on the side of my reading room. And by this afternoon I should hit 300 Cybils fiction picture book and board book nominees read!

As you might imagine, my non-Cybils reading has suffered a little. I'm currently reading the same six books I was reading last week:



I'm also busily writing up reviews for my Cybils books. I hope to post my favorite twenty-five books, along with reviews, just after the short lists are announced. I don't know how this can be, as you might think authors and illustrators might run out of new ideas for books, but I think this year there are more amazing fiction picture books than I've ever read in one year.

We visited Mexico in my school library this week. My library assistant went to Mexico City over Thanksgiving break and she shared stories of the jaguar in Mayan mythology along with tales of how she climbed (crawled, at one point) to the top of the pyramids. I read the old Mexican folktale, The Legend of the Poinsettia by Tomie de Paola. It was a satisfying week.




What are you reading today?



What is the Sunday SalonImagine some university library's vast reading room. It's filled with people--students and faculty and strangers who've wandered in. They're seated at great oaken desks, books piled all around them,and they're all feverishly reading and jotting notes in their leather-bound journals as they go. Later they'll mill around the open dictionaries and compare their thoughts on the afternoon's literary intake....That's what happens at the Sunday Salon, except it's all virtual. Every Sunday the bloggers participating in that week's Salon get together--at their separate desks, in their own particular time zones--and read. And blog about their reading. And comment on one another's blogs. Think of it as an informal, weekly, mini read-a-thon, an excuse to put aside one's earthly responsibilities and fall into a good book. Click here to join the Salon.

The Sunday Post is a meme hosted by Kimba at Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It's a chance to share news and recap the past week.

Mailbox Monday was created by Marcia at The Printed Page. We share books that we found in our mailboxes last week. 
 It is now being hosted here.

Stacking the Shelves is a meme hosted by Tynga's Reviews in which you can share the books you've acquired.

It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? is where we share what we read this past week, what we hope to read this week…. and anything in between!  This is a great way to plan out your reading week and see what others are currently reading as well… you never know where that next “must read” book will come from! I love being a part of this and I hope you do too! It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is now being hosted at The Book Date.

21 comments:

  1. Oh it sounds like it's been a wonderful week! And I'm glad that in the middle of my misery, I also managed to diagnose your mystery malady as well:). I hope the coming week is just as much fun, if perhaps a tad less hectic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps we need more readers to go into the doctoring profession.

      Delete
  2. I am so impressed by your ambitious reading of the Cybils....and the other books will still be waiting. I do like the look of Dear Fahrenheit 451, though.

    I had to laugh at the vision of your house sinking because of the reading room.

    Enjoy your week, and thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Fahrenheit 451 is a fabulous read for those of us who love books-about-books.

      Delete
  3. Your week sounds amazing and so much fun too. Hope next week is a great one for you too. Happy reading. :)

    My Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds delightful. I was in a bookstore yesterday and sat down at a tiny kid's table in the children's section and read a half dozen picture books. Now I want to get The Antlered Ship and After the Fall for my classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hard to believe round 1 of Cybils will be over soon-ish! That means my work begins in about a month. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am trying to survive the end of the semester, but I was bitten by the Christmas Bug at The Clear Lake Symphony/Gloria Dei concert choir Friday night (the first) with friends. I am reading up a storm and it currently really coming down! Both My Better Half and I just finished Waiting for Anna, and although we wore the cover off, we put it in our LFL with a note from each of us on the title page. I hope it is not getting soaked!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, 300 picture books?! That’s amazing. It’s also hilarious that your mail people read your blog. Mine probably hate me for all the books I make them carry. Have a great week!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How cool that the UPS and FedEx guys follow your blog!

    I have just finished my favorite book of 2017 -- A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles. I loved it so much, I may just have to read it again before the year is over!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck with the Cybils reading!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Getting your UPS driver and mailman interested in your blog is a major accomplishment!
    I was intrigued by your Scandinavian book Winter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've judged book comps myself but the Cybils reading sounds daunting. You sound up to it though. Love the focus on Mexico (I've been there; haven't climbed the pyramids though...there likely would have been some crawling involved with me too); always great to expose young ones (and us older ones too) to different cultures and open our hearts to different ways of being. Also thanks for dropping by my blog and dropping a word of encouragement about my new picture book - Lost! A Caribbean Sea Adventure - putting hope that it does do well out in to the world.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mexico! I never been to Mexico, but I would love to visit the country. So much history.
    Have fun reading the six books!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can't wait to see your list of great new picture books. I have a couple of very young grandkids, so your list will give me some new ideas for books. have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Enjoy all your Cybils reading. Since I get so many Kindle books these days, I keep getting visions of my Kindle bulging and then exploding, spewing stories everywhere. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  15. All those books to read, I think picture books are just so amazing, I love buying them for young relatives! Hehheh hubby will just have to shore up the house!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm also in the final frenzied reading for the cybils. Goodness. I'm getting ready for the new year. Come see what I'm looking forward to and what I'm reading now.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The fact that your UPS and FedEx guys are big readers and now follow your blog may just be the best thing I've heard today! That's fantastic! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Deb, I am a second round judge for Early Reader - so my reading will definitely ramp up by January. Loved hearing about the UPS book readers. Haha. I've learned of Knausgaard through the Litsy community - and I have put his novels on my To-Read Stack in Goodreads. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This week I am reading a cozy mystery with a cat named Elvis in it. (OF COURSE there's a cat )

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.